Occupation: 272613 – Welfare Worker
(Welfare Case Worker)
Assists individuals, families and groups with social, emotional or financial difficulties to improve quality of life, by educating and supporting them and working towards change in their social environment.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification and at least 5 years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- researching and analysing community issues, needs and problems
- developing, evaluating and maintaining community resources and programs
- evaluating data and writing reports such as submissions requesting funding for continuing programs and new projects
- identifying issues of local needs, concerns and aspirations through community consultation
- organising local sporting, cultural and recreational events and activities such as community functions, hobby classes, community arts projects and sporting competitions
- providing support while exploring alternatives with clients who experience difficulties such as marital problems, unemployment, illness and drug abuse
- assessing risks and providing intensive short-term crisis counselling for victims of domestic violence, child abuse, disasters and other crises
- assisting to establish and administer neighbourhood houses, community groups, employment training programs and other services