Occupation: 253311 – Specialist Physician (General Medicine)
Investigates and diagnoses internal human disorders and diseases, and administers treatment. Registration or licensing is required.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification, 2 years hospital-based training, and at least 5 years specialist study and training (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- examining patients to determine the nature and extent of problems after referral from General Medical Practitioners and other medical specialists, and undertaking laboratory tests and diagnostic procedures
- analysing test results and other medical information to make diagnoses
- prescribing and administering drugs, and remedial and therapeutic treatment and procedures
- recording medical information and data
- reporting specified contagious and notifiable diseases to government health and immigration authorities
- may admit or refer patients to hospitals
- may consult other medical specialists