Occupation: 272413 – Translator
Transfers a source text from one language into another, uaually within an extended time frame to allw for corrections and modifications and without the presence of the participants requiring the translation.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- assembling historical data by consulting sources of information such as historical indexes and catalogues archives, court records, diaries, newspaper files and other materials
- organising, authenticating, evaluating and interpreting historical, political, sociological, anthropological and linguistic data
- undertaking historical and cultural research into human activity, and preparing and presenting research findings
- providing simultaneous and consecutive verbal or signed renditions of speeches into another language
- rendering the meaning and feeling of what is said and signed into another language in the appropriate register and style in a range of setting such as courts, hospitals, schools, workplaces and conferences
- studying original texts and transcripts of recorded spoken material to comprehend subject matter and translating them into another language
- rendering the meaning and feeling of written material, such as literary, legal, technical and scientific texts, into another language in the appropriate register and style, so that it will read as an original piece rather than as a translation