Occupation: 212412 – Newspaper or Periodical Editor
Plans and directs editing of a publication, such as a newspaper, magazine or journal, in accordance with editorial policies and guidelines and accepted rules of grammar, style and format prior to printing and distribution.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification and at least 5 years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- determining advertising approach by consulting clients and management, and studying products to establish principal selling features
- writing advertisements for press, radio, television, cinema screens, billboards, catalogues and shop displays
- making decisions about the specific content of publications in conjunction with other senior editors and in accordance with editorial policies and guidelines
- reviewing copy for publication to ensure conformity with accepted rules of grammar, style and format, coherence of story, and accuracy, legality and probity of content
- collecting and analysing facts about newsworthy events from interviews, printed matter, investigations and observations
- writing news reports, commentaries, articles and feature stories for newspapers, magazines, journals, television and radio on topics of public interest
- researching and writing technical, information-based material and documentation for manuals, text books, handbooks and multimedia products
- critically discussing daily news topics in the editorial columns of newspapers and reviewing books, films and plays
Web Site/Blog Editor