Occupation: 253411 – Psychiatrist
Diagnoses, assesses, treats and prevents human mental, emotional and behavioural disorders. Registration or licensing is required.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification, 2 years hospital-based training, and at least 5 years specialist study and training (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- assessing patients’ mental and physical status to determine the nature and extent of mental, emotional and behavioural disorders
- assessing patients’ medical, psychiatric and psychological histories
- examing patients to determine general physical condition
- ordering laboratory tests, imaging, neuropsychological tests and other diagnostic procedures
- examining the results of tests and examinations to determine the most appropriate forms of treatment
- prescribing and administering medication, psychotherapy, and other physical treatments and rehabilitation programs
- arranging admission to hospitals and providing in-patient treatment
- consulting, supervising and working with other Medical Practitioners and Health Professionals
- determining whether patients require involuntary treatment in accordance with relevant mental health acts
- assisting courts and other statutory bodies in managing patients in legal and forensic settings
- teaching medical students and registrars, and assessing their progress by administering tests
Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist