Occupation: 392211 – Graphic Pre-press Trades Worker
Manipulates, sets and composes text and graphics into a format suitable for printing and other visual media.
The entry requirement for this occupation is the qualifications and experience (AQF Certificate III including at least 2 years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)). At least 3 years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- operating graphic cameras and other photographic equipment to reproduce camera-ready copy onto films, plates and digital output devices
- using computer applications to generate images, text, layouts and impositions for print and other visual media displays
- operating plate making equipment to reproduce images from film to printing plates, digital output devices and presses
- operating computer screen-based equipment for scanning, colour separation, colour correction, masking, creative design, combining, imposing, retouching, and other processes used to transfer copy to film and produce film for plate, digital output and cylinder productions
- carrying out digital and chemical proofing from digital systems and negative and positive films
- evaluating printed proofs, checking and correcting them for quality
- preparing and exposing carbon tissue for laying on clyinders by transfer method, and developing images
Desktop Publishing Operator