Occupation: 225411 – Sales Representative (Industrial Products)
Represents companies in selling a range of specialised chemicals, machines, manufacturing materials and other industrial supplies.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification and at least 5 years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- compiling lists of prospective client businesses using directories and other sources
- acquiring and updating knowledge of employers’ and competitors’ goods and services, and market conditions
- visiting regular and prospective client businesses to establish and act on selling opportunities
- assessing customers’ needs and recommending and explaining goods and services to them
- monitoring customers’ changing needs and competitor activity, and reporting these developments to sales management
- quoting and negotiating prices and credit terms, and completing contracts and recording orders
- arranging delivery of goods, installation of equipment and the provision of services
- reporting to sales management on sales made and the marketability of goods and services
- following up with clients to ensure satisfaction with goods and services purchased, and resolving any problems arising
- preparing sales reports and maintaining and submitting records of business expenses incurred