Occupation: 323412 – Toolmaker
Makes and repairs tools, dies, jigs, fixtures and other precision parts and equipment to fine tolerances for machine tools and other production machinery.
The entry requirement for this occupation is the qualifications and experience (AQF Certificate III including at least 2 years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)). At least 3 years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- studying drawings and specifications to determine dimensions and tolerances of articles to be manufactured and models to be constructed
- measuring and marking out metal stock and castings using various gauges
- shaping metal and wood stock using machine tools
- checking accuracy of manufactured articles and finished patterns to fine tolerances, using precision measuring instruments
- testing and modifying manufactured articles
- applying protective finishes to patterns and painting pattern sections to indicate method of assembly
- assembling pattern sections and shaping work pieces to specified finish
- pouring and spreading materials into moulds and over models of patterns, and building laminations of fibreglass cloth and plastic resin to fabricate patterns
- repairing broken and damaged patterns and correcting patterns to compensate to defects in casting
- constructing templates for layout and inspection
Plastic Mould Maker