Occupation: 221111 – Accountant (General)
Plans and provides systems and services relating to the financial dealings of organisations and individuals, and advises on associated record-keeping and compliance requirements. Registration or licensing is required.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- assisting in formulating budgetary and accounting policies
- preparing financial statements for presentation to boards of directors, management, shareholders, and governing and statutory bodies
- conducting financial investigations, preparing reports, undertaking audits and advising on matters such as the purchase and sale of businesses, mergers, capital financing, suspected fraud, insolvency and taxation
- examining operating costs and organisations’ income and expenditure
- providing assurance about the accuracy of information contained in financial reports and their compliance with statutory requirements
- providing financial and taxation advice on business structures, plans and operations
- preparing taxation returns for individuals and organisations
- liaising with financial institutions and brokers to establish funds management arrangements
- introducing and maintaining accounting systems, and advising on the selection and application of computer-based accounting systems
- maintaining internal control systems
- may appraise cash flow and financial risk of capital investment projects