Occupation: 252112 – Osteopath
Diagnoses and treats tissue strains, stresses and dysfunctions which impede normal neural, vascular and biochemical mechanisms, and provides advice on preventing these disorders. Registration or licensing is required.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- administering a variety of neurological, musculoskeletal and functional tests to identify and assess physical problems and ailments of patients
- planning and discussing effective management of patients’ dysfunction
- designing, reviewing, monitoring, assessing and evaluating treatment programs
- assisting and improving the function of all body systems such as musculoskeletal, neurological, cardiovascular, respiratory, gastrointestinal, endocrine and genitourinary systems
- recording detailed patient medical histories, treatments delivered and the patients’ responses and progress to treatments
- referring patients to specialists and liaising with other Health Professionals in relation to patients’ problems, need and progress
- educating patients, their partners, family and friends in therapeutic procedures, such as home exercises and lifestyle changes, to enhance patients’ health and wellbeing