Occupation: 253514 – Orthopaedic Surgeon
Performs surgery to treat muscular and skeletal diseases and injuries. Registration or licensing is required.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification, 2 years hospital-based training, and at least 5 years specialist study and training (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- examining patients to determine the necessity of operations, estimating and explaining risks to patients, and selecting the best operational procedures
- reviewing reports on patients’ general physical condition, reactions to medications and medical histories
- consulting with Anaethetists regarding the correct anaesthesia for patients
- performing surgical operations
- examining instruments, equipment, and surgical set-up to ensure that antiseptic and aseptic methods have been followed
- instructing other medical, nursing and associated staff regarding the preparation of patient and instrument and equipment requirements
- prescribing post-operative care, and observing and investigating patients’ progress
- maintaining records of operations performed
- may specialise in particular types of operations