Occupation: 342111 – Airconditioning & Refrigeration Mechanic
Assembles, installs, maintains and repairs industrial, commercial and domestic airconditioning and refrigeration systems and equipment. Registration or licensing may be required.
The entry requirement for this occupation is the qualifications and experience. AQF Certificate III including at least 2 years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3). At least 3 years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- establishing job requirements from drawings and specifications, and laying out installation reference points
- drilling holes, installing mounting brackets and cutting, bending and theading piping
- installing and repairing components such as compressors, motors, condensers, evaporators, switches and gauges, and copper line for steam, gas, refrigerant, compressed air, oil and chilled water
- bolting, soldering riveting, welding and brazing pipes to connect equipment, and checking alignment and accuracy of fit
- filling systems with gas or fluid to check for leaks
- test-operating refrigeration systems, checking mechanisms and making adjustments
- removing test gas and fluid using vacuum pumps, and filling with refrigerant
- checking and overhauling refrigeration systems, diagnosing faults and repairing and replacing defective components
- adjusting system controls and mechanisms and reassembling systems
- recording causes of malfunctioning and action taken