Occupation: 322115 – Metal Polisher
Polishes metal to impart smooth, reflective and other finishes.
The entry requirement for this occupation is the qualifications and experience (AQF Certificate III including at least 2 years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)). At least 3 years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- selecting metal stock for job requirements
- heating metal in forges and furnaces and hammering, punching and cutting metal using hand tools and machine presses
- tempering and hardening finished articles by quenching in oil or water baths or by cooling gradually in air
- preparing electrolytic and silver solutions for electroforming, and applying solution to the objects to be coated
- setting and adjusting controls to regulate electric current and depositing of coating on objects
- preparing horses’ hooves for shoeing, nailing horseshoes to hooves, and trimming hooves
- cuttng, trimming, shaping and smoothing stock to form mould patterns
- filling boxes with sand and setting patterns in place, pouring molten metal into moulds
- applying refractory paint and positioning cores in moulds
- finishing metal and articles by polishing and buffing and applying shellac, lacquer, paint and other finishes