Occupation: 323314 – Precision Instrument Maker & Repairer
Assembles, calibrates, installs and overhauls mechanical precision instruments and equipment.
The entry requirement for this occupation is the qualifications and experience (AQF Certificate III including at least 2 years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)). At least 3 years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing may be required.
- assembling parts and subassemblies of precision instruments, locks, timepieces and firearms
- dismantling precision instruments, locks, timepieces and firearms, repairing and replacing defective parts, and reassembling articles using hand and power tools and specially designed machines
- inscribing letters, figures and designs on surfaces of jewellery, trophies and other ornamental items
- installing security systems, changing tumblers in locks, changing locks, cutting keys and opening locks by manipulation
- calibrating precision instruments using standard weights and measures, jigs and fixtures, and hand tools to adjust and align parts and small balancing weights
- making blades for circular, band and other power saws and repairing, setting and sharpening blades for hand and power saws
- testing circuits in electronic timepieces
- may estimate costs and prepare quotes for repairs
Scientific Instrument Maker & Repairer