Occupation: 253111 – General Medical Practitioner
Diagnoses, treats and prevents human physical and mental disorders and injuries. Registration or licensing is required.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification and at least 1 year of hospital-based training (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- conducting examinations and questioning patients to determine the nature of disorders and illnesses, and recording patients’ medical information
- ordering laboratory tests, X-rays and other diagnostic procedures, and interpreting findings to assist in diagnosis
- providing overall care for patients, and prescribing and administering treatments, medications and other remedial measures
- monitoring patients’ progress and response to treatment
- advising on diet, exercise and other habits which aid prevention and treatment of disease and disorders
- referring patients to, and exchanging medical information with, specialist Medical Practitioners
- reporting births, deaths and notifiable diseases to government authorities
- arranging the admission of patients to hospitals
Medical Officer (Navy)