Occupation: 253317 – Intensive Care Specialist
(Intensive Care Medicine Specialist, Intensivist)
Investigates, diagnoses and treats patients in need of intensive and critical care. Registration or licensing is required.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification, 2 years hospital-based training, and at least 5 years specialist study and training (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- examining patients to determine the nature and extent of problems after referral from General Medical Practitioners and other medical specialists, and undertaking laboratory tests and diagnostic procedures
- analysing test results and other medical information to make diagnoses
- prescribing and administering drugs, and remedial and therapeutic treatment and procedures
- recording medical information and data
- reporting specified contagious and notifiable diseases to government health and immigration authorities
- may admit or refer patients to hospitals
- may consult other medical specialists