Occupation: 333212 – Solid Plasterer
Applies decorative and protective coverings of plaster, cement and similar materials to the interiors and exteriors of structures. Registration or licensing may be required.
The entry requirement for this occupation is the qualifications and experience. AQF Certificate III including at least 2 years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3). At least 3 years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- determining plasterboard layout, and installing insulation and vapour barriers
- measuring, marking and cutting plasterboard, lifting and positioning panels, and securing them to walls, ceilings and battens
- preparing corner beads and securing them in position
- fixing pre-cast cornices, panel mouldings, ceiling centres and other plaster fittings
- covering joins and nail holes with wet plaster and sealing compounds, and smoothing them using wet brushes and sand paper
- mixing and applying coats of plaster, cement and render to structures using trowels, and levelling and smoothing coats to uniform thickness
- plumbing and straightening corners, angles and wall and ceiling surfaces
- creating decorative textures in finishing coats
- applying and finishing acoustic, insulating and fireproofing materials bonded with plaster, plastic cement and similar materials