Occupation: 211112 – Dancer or Choreographer
Entertain by performing dances, or creates dance compositions. This occupation requires high levels of creative talent or personal commitment and interest as well as, or in place of, formal qualifications or experience.
The entry requirement for this occupation is to have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least 5 years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. Some occupations in this unit group require high levels of creative talent or personal commitment and interest as well as, or in place of, formal qualifications or experience (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- reading scripts and undertaking research to gain understanding of parts, themes and characterisations
- learning lines and cues, rehearsing parts, and applying vocal and movement skills to the development of characterisation
- preparing for performances through rehearsals under the instruction and guidance of production directors
- acting parts and portraying roles as developed in rehearsals in film, television, radio and stage productions
- practising dance routines and interpreting the choreographic content of the production
- performing dances for audience entertainment, coordinating body movements and facial expression, usually with musical accompaniment
- composing and notating ballet compositions and other dance routines
- creating and performing individual performance routines
- rehearsing, auditioning and travelling between entertainment venues
Contemporary or Modern Dancer