Occupation: 232212 – Surveyor
(Geomatician, Geomatic Engineer)
Plans, directs and conducts survey work to determine, delinerate, plan and precisely position tracts of land, natural and constructed features, coastlines, marine floor and underground works, and manages related information systems. Registration or licensing may be required.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- designing and compiling map manuscripts using digital and graphical source material, including aerial photographs, satellite imagery, survey documents, existing maps and records, reports and statistics
- advising Surveyors and other professionals on the data requirements for map production, and on the aesthetic, technical and economic considerations of scales, details to be illustrated, place names and reproduction technicques
- supervising and coordinating the work of cartographic technicians in the production and reproduction of maps
- determining the position of points of interest on the earth’s surface including marine floors, and preparing the final product data in digital form
- supervising the preparation of plans, maps, charts and drawings to give pictorial representations and managing automated spatial information systems
- undertaking research and development of surveying and photogrammetric measurement systems, cadastral systems and land information systems
- planning and designing land subdivision projects and negotiating details with local governments and other authorities
- advising Architects, Engineering Professionals, environmental and other scientists or other relevant professionals on the technical requirements of surveying, mapping and spatial information systems
- compiling and evaluating data, interpreting codes of practice, and writing reports concerning survey measurement, land use and tenure
- preparing site plans and survey reports required for conveyancing and land ownership matters
Hydrographic Surveyor Operator (Navy)