Occupation: 231214 – Ship’s Officer
Navigates and controls the safe operation of a ship and supervises and coordinates the activities of deck crew. Registration or licensing is required.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Diploma or higher qualification. Ship’s Engineers and Ship’s Surveyors require a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- directing fishing operations by using knowledge about the species sought, fishing areas, seasons and the capabilities of the vessel and crew
- directing crew in catching fish, molluscs and crustacea at varying depths using nets, lines, poles, pots and traps
- planning, controlling and coordinating the operational and maintenance requirements of a ship’s propulsion and domestic plant and equipment
- operating plant and equipment and performing routine maintenance on ship’s systems including mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic, steam generating, and fire prevention and control systems
- controlling and directing shipping operations to ensure the safe and efficient loading and transport of cargo and passengers
- ensuring compliance with regulations pertaining to safety at sea and protection of the marine environment
- directing the activities of the deck crew for navigational support tasks, berthing and unberthing, maintenance, cleaning and painting of superstructures, and repair and replacement of defective deck gear and equipment
- navigating a ship by supervising the ship’s course and speed according to predeterminded passage plans and safety procedures
- examining and approving design plans of hulls and equipment such as main propulsion engines, auxiliary boilers and turbines, electrical power generating plant, refrigeration and airconditioning plant and pumping systems
- conducting periodic surverys throughout a ship’s life to ensure standards are maintained
Navigating Officer (Ship’s)
Seaman Officer (Navy)