Occupation: 394212 – Picture Framer
Cuts out and assembles mouldings to make picture frames, and frames paintings, photographs, needlework and other artwork.
The entry requirement for this occupation is the qualifications and experience (AQF Certificate III including at least 2 years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)). At least 3 years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in adddition to the formal qualification.
- studying drawings, work orders and sample parts to determine specifications
- determining tooling and machine requirements and sequence of operations
- setting up woodworking machines and wood stock for correct cutting, planning, turning, shaping and sanding
- operating machines to cut, plane, turn, shape and sand work pieces
- removing old finishes by stripping with steel wool and glasspaper, and by applying solvents and paint strippers, and removing softened finishes by scraping
- applying varnish, shellac, lacquer, stains and paint to surfaces and polishing and waxing finished surfaces
- fitting and fastening frame pieces
- mounting backing materials and subjects for framing