Occupation: 272612 – Recreation Officer
Plans, organises and coordinates recreation facilities and programs through organisations such as local governments, schools, church bodies and youth organisations.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification and at least 5 years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- researching and analysing community issues, needs and problems
- developing, evaluating and maintaining community resources and programs
- evaluating data and writing reports such as submissions requesting funding for continuing programs and new projects
- identifying issues of local need, concerns and aspirations through community consultation
- organising local sporting, cultural and recreational events and activities such as community functions, hobby classes, community arts projects and sporting competitions
- providing support while exploring alternatives with clients who experience difficulties such as marital problems, unemployment, illness and drug abuse
- assessing risks and providing intensive short-term crisis counselling for victims of domestic violence, child abuse, disasters and other crises
- assisting to establish and administer neighbourhood houses, community groups, employment training program and other services