Occupation: 411611 – Massage Therapist
Performs therapeutic massage and administers body treatments for relaxation, health, fitness and remedial purposes.
The entry requirement for this occupation is the qualifications and experience (AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)). At least 3 years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- massaging the soft tissues of the body, such as muscles, tendons and ligaments, to assist healing
- utilising a range of massage techniques to enhance sports performance and prevent injury
- administering treatments to promote relaxation, improve circulation and relieve muscle tension
- assessing and treating specific soft tissue dysfunction and providing rehabilitation advice
- employing other techniques, such as acupressure or Shiatsu, and complementary aids, such as infra-red lamps, wet compresses, ice, essential oils and herbal and mineral therapies to assist recovery
- assessing client’s physical condition and case history and advising on stretching exercises and relaxation techniques
Chinese (Tui-Na) Masseur
Sports Medicine Masseur