Occupation: 342413 – Telecommunications Linesworker
Installs, maintains and repairs external telecommunication equipment such as aerial lines, conduits and underground cables, radio and mobile phone antennae, and limited items of terminal equipment.
The entry requirement for this occupation is the qualifications and experience (AQF Certificate III including at least 2 years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)). At least 3 years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or relevant vendor certification may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- examining drawings, specifications and work areas to determine positioning and connections for equipment to be installed
- locating faults in telecommunications equipment using instruments such as ohmmeters, voltmeters, ammeters and transmission measuring equipment
- attaching wires and cables to appliances
- adjusting, replacing and repairing faulty items, and testing equipment using electronic instruments
- installing cabling for telephone, radio, pay TV and computer transmission
- joining cables and sealing sheaths with lead and thermoplastic
- erecting, testing and maintaining aerial and underground wires and cables and radio and mobile phone antennae
- installing telecommunications equipment and appliances such as telephones, switchboards and data transmission equipment
Operator Bearer Systems (Army)