Occupation: 234213 – Wine Maker
Plans, supervises and coordinates the production of wine or spirits from selected varieties of grapes.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification. In the case of Wine Maker, at least 5 years of experience may substitute for the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- conducting experiments and tests to identify the chemical composition and reactive properties of natural substances and processed materials
- analysing and conducting research to develop theories, techniques and processes, and testing the reliability of outcomes under different conditions
- developing practical applications of experimental and research finidings
- testing food products for flavour, colour, taste, texture and nutritional content
- advising on preserving, processing, packaging, storing and delivering foods
- developing quality control procedures and safety standards for the manufacture of food products
- examining grape samples to assess ripeness, sugar and acid content, and determining suitability for processing
- coordinating winemaking processes, directing workers in testing and crushing grapes, fermenting juices, and fortifying, clarifying, maturing and finishing wines
- blending wines according to formulae and knowledge of winemaking techniques