Occupation: 321214 – Small Engine Mechanic
Maintains, tests and repairs engines of chainsaws, lawn mowers, garden tractors and other equipment with small engines. Registration or licensing may be required.
The entry requirement for this occupation is the qualifications and experience. AQF Certificate III including at least 2 years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3). At least 3 years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- detecting and diagnosing faults in engines and parts
- dismantling and removing engine assemblies, transmissions, steering mechanisms and other components, and checking parts
- repairing and replacing worn and defective parts and reassembling mechanical components, and referring to service manuals as needed
- performing scheduled maintenance services, such as oil changes, lubrications and engine tune-ups, to achieve smoother running of vehicles and ensure compliance with pollution regulations
- reassembling engines and parts after being repaired
- testing and adjusting mechanical parts after being repaired for proper performance
- diagnosing and testing parts with the assistance of computers
- may inspect vehicles and issue roadworthiness certificates or detail work required to acheve roadworthiness
Outboard Motor Mechanic