Occupation: 324211 – Vehicle Body Builder
(Vehicle Body Maker)
Manufactures and repairs prototype production units and purpose-built vehicle bodies such as buses, trucks, fire engines and caravans.
The entry requirement for this occupation is the qualifications and experience (AQF Certificate III including at least 2 years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)). At least 3 years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing may be required.
- constructing framework sections in metal, wood, fibreglass and other materials using shaping machines and cutting and welding equipment
- bolting, screwing, riveting and welding sections together to form complete frameworks
- cutting and shaping panels of sheetmetal, aluminium and reinforced plastic and attaching to frameworks using hand and power tools
- modifying assembly line vehicles to special requirements
- preparing new vehicle trim work according to drawings and sketches, and removing old coverings and fittings from vehicles and taking new measurements
- selecting and cutting pieces of fabric, vinyl and leather and sewing pieces together using heavy-duty sewing machines
- installing internal trim in vehicles such as lining, floor coverings and armrests
- attaching door trims, rubber seals, locks and handles