Occupation: 234711 – Veterinarian
Diagnoses, treats and prevents animal diseases, ailments and injuries. Registration or licensing is required.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- treating animals medically and surgically, and administering and prescribing drugs, analgesics, and general and local anaesthetics
- determining the presence and nature of abnormal conditions by physical examination, laboratory testing and through diagnostic imaging techniques including radiography and ultrasound
- performing surgery, dressing wounds and setting broken bones
- rendering obstetric services to animals
- participating in programs designed to prevent the occurrence and spread of animal diseases
- inoculating animals against, and testing for, infectious diseases and notifying authorities of outbreaks of infectious animal diseases
- performing autopsies to determine cause of dease
- advising clients on health, nutrition and feeding, hygiene, breeding and care of animals
- may provide professional services to commercial firm producing biological and pharmaceutical products
- may specialise in the treatment of a particular animal group or in a particular specialty area such as cardiology, chiropractic, dermatology or critical care