Occupation: 272114 – Rehabilitation Counsellor
Assists physically, mentally and socially disadvantaged people to reintegrate into work and the community.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- working with clients on career, study and employment options by obtaining and examining information relevant to their abilities and needs
- providing information and resources to assist clients with job-seeking skills
- assessing client needs in relation to treatment for drug and alcohol abuse
- conducting counselling interviews with individuals, couples and family groups
- assisting the understanding and adjustment of attitudes, expectations and behaviour to develop more effective interpersonal and marital relationships
- presenting alternative approaches and discussing potential for attitude and behaviour change
- consulting with clients to develop rehabilitation plans taking account of vocational and social needs
- contributing information, understanding and advice on the learning and behaviour of students, especially those with special needs, and assisting parents and teachers in dealing with these needs
- may work in a call centre