Occupation: 241111 – Early Childhood (Pre-Primary School) Teacher
Plans, organises and conducts activities to help pre-primary school students to develop a wide variety of skills including speech, reading, writing, motor skills and social interaction. Registration or licensing is required.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- planning and structuring learning in both indoor and outdoor environments using a variety of materials and equipment to facilitate students’ development
- providing a variety of experiences and activities to develop motor skills, cooperative social skills, confidence and understanding
- promoting language development through story telling, role play, songs, rhymes and informal discussions held individually and within groups
- observing students to evaluate progress and to detect signs of ill health, emotional disturbance and other disabilities
- observing nutritional health, welfare and safety needs of students and identifying factors which may impede students’ progress
- discussing students’ progress with parents
- attending parent interviews, and staff and committee meetings
- participating in community and family support programs as appropriate
- supervising student teachers on placement