Occupation: 399111 – Boat Builder & Repairer
Builds, repairs and modifies boats.
The entry requirement for this occupation is the qualifications and experience (AQF Certificate III including at least 2 years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)). At least 3 years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing may be required.
- studying plans and specifications, and preparing templates and scale plans for fabrication and cutting of hull sections.
- marking reference points and lines on dry docks and slipways
- checking position and functioning of slipway apparatus
- assembling shells of boats and erecting hull sections of ship
- erecting and preparing launching platforms, conducting pre-launch tests and supervising launching procedures
- installing masts, frames, decking, fittings, machines, shafts and safety equipment
- building and installing structures such as cabins, machine mountings, propeller supports and rudders
- determining repair requirements and procedures
- may make hull moulds and fabricate and repair vessels using materials such as aluminium, wood, glass, reinforced plastic, carbon fibre, Kevlar, fibreglass and concrete
Composite Boat Builder
Wooden Boat Builder