Occupation: 311313 – Quarantine Officer
Inspects incoming animals, plants, and animal and plant products to ensure compliance with laws and regulations to prevent the spread of exotic pests and diseases.
The entry requirement for this occupation is the qualifications and experience (AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)). At least 3 years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- inspecting animals, plants and agricultural produce to identify product quality issues, and providing advice to producers
- auditing and monitoring quality procedures at farms and food handling and processing facilities to ensure compliance with required standards
- testing samples of produce for quality, size and purity
- ensuring that required standards of hygiene are observed at storage, processing and packing facilities and in transport vehicles
- advising primary producers on economic aspects of disease eradication and informing producers and the general public of the health implications of diseases and impurities
- advising on the identification of pests and diseases and on regulations pertaining to grading, packing and loading of products
- examining imported plants and animals, and products, such as timber, seeds and dried fruits and making quarantine arrangements
- patrolling and investigating waterways for unlawful fishing activities and the removal of protect marine life
- educating, advising and providing information on a wide range of topics relating to fish and their protection
- may initiate or assist in legal action to enforce regulations