Occupation: 394214 – Wood Turner
Operates wood turning lathes to turn and shape wood stock.
The entry requirement for this occupation is the qualifications and experience (AQF Certificate III including at least 2 years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)). At least 3 years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- studying drawings, work orders and sample parts to determine specifications
- determining tooling and machine requirements and sequence of operations
- setting up woodworking machines and wood stock for correct cutting, planning, turning, shaping and sanding
- operating machines to cut, plane, turn, shape and sand work pieces
- removing old finishes by stripping with steel wool and glasspaper, and by applying solvents and paint strippers, and removing softened finishes by scraping
- applying varnish, shellac, lacquer, stains and paint to surfaces and polishing and waxing finished surfaces
- fitting and fastening frame pieces
- mounting backing materials and subjects for framing