Occupation: 252312 – Dentist
(Dental Practitioner, Dental Surgeon)
Diagnoses and treats dental disease, injuries, decay and malformations of the teeth, periodontal tissue (gums), hard and soft tissue found on the mouth and other dento-facial structures using surgery and other techniques. Registration or licensing is required.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- diagnosing dental diseases using a range of methods such as radiographs, salivary tests and medical histories
- providing preventative oral health care such as periodontal treatments, fluoride applications and oral health promotion
- providing restorative oral care such as implants, complex crown and bridge restorations and orthodontics, and repairing damaged and decayed teeth
- providing oral surgical treatments such as biopsy of tissue and prescription of medication
- performing routine orthodontic treatment
- restoring oral function with removable and fixed oral prostheses
- assisting in diagnosing general diseases having oral manifestations such as diabetes
- educating patients to take care of their mouth and teeth
- leading a dental team which may comprise Dental Hygientists, Dental Therapists, Dental Assistants and other Dental Specialists