Occupation: 272211 – Minister of Religion
Performs spiritual functions associated with beliefs and practices of a religious faith, and provides motivation, guidance and training in religious life for the people of a congregation or parish, and the wider community.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. The occupation in this unit group requires high levels of personal commitment and interest as well as, or in place of, formal qualification or experience (ANZSCO Skill Level 1). Registration or licensing may be required.
- preparing and conducting services of public worship and acknowledgements of faith
- preparing and delivering sermons, homilies and special talks, and planning music for services
- participating in the social and welfare activities of communities, encouraging people to be aware of their responsibilities, and organising participation in community projects
- conducting classes of religious instruction, and supervising prayer and discussion group, retreats and seminars
- conducting premarital and family counselling and referring people to professional service agencies where necessary
- performing marriages, funerals and special memorial services according to tradition and ecclesiastical and civil law
- visiting members of the community in their homes, hospitals and other institutions to provide advice and religious comfort
- keeping records as required by the church and civil law
Aboriginal Ceremonial Celebrant
Salvation Army Officer