Occupation: 271111 – Barrister
Pleads cases before civil, criminal and industrial courts and other tribunals.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1). Registration or licensing is required.
- receiving written information in the form of briefs and verbal instructions concerning cases from Solicitors, other specialist Legal Professionals and clients
- providing advice and written opinions on points of law
- conferring with clients and witnesses in preparation for court proceedings
- drawing up pleadings, affidavits and other court documents
- researching statutes and previous court decisions relevant to cases
- outlining the facts to the court, calling and questioning witnesses, and making addresses to the court to argue a client’s case
- providing opinion on complex legal issues
- may draw up or settle documents