Occupation: 393111 – Canvas Goods Maker
Fabricates and repairs canvas and related products such as awnings, tents, tarpaulins, horse rugs and caravan annexes.
The entry requirement for this occupation is the qualifications and experience (AQF Certificate III inclulding at least 2 years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)). At least 3 years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- cutting and preparing canvas, leather and sailcloth to design specifications, patterns and drawings
- sewing, gluing and riveting sections of canvas together to make articles such as awnings, tents, tarpaulins and horse rugs
- attaching grommets, fastenings and other fittings to canvas goods
- joining parts of leather articles using riverts, hand sewing, sewing machines, tools and adhesive
- restoring and repairing leather articles
- fabricating sails
- designing patterns and prototype of boots and shoes
- making and grading patterns using manual and computerised methods
- clicking synthetics, corrected grains, leather linings and leather outers by hand and machine
- altering and repairing footwear