Occupation: 212314 – Film & Video Editor
Makes and implements editorial decisions regarding mood, pace and climax of films, television programs, video productions or commercials.
The entry requirement for this occupation is to have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least 5 years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. Some occupations in this unit group require high levels of creative talent or personal commitment and interest as well as, or in place of, formal qualifications or experience (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- studying scripts and scenarios to determine theme and setting
- assessing locations and staging requirements for productions in association with specialist designers
- overseeing creative aspects of film, television, radio and stage productions
- determining lighting, film, shutter angles, filter factors, camera distance, depth of field and focus, angles of view and other variables to achieve desired mood and effect
- viewing film and video tape to evaluate and select scenes and determine which scenes need to be re-shot
- planning and organising the preparation and presentation of programs
- supervising the positioning of scenery, props and lighting and sound equipment
- assessing technical requirements of productions by studying scripts and discussing program content, set locations and stage directions with production team
- creating, planning, writing scripts for, recording, videotaping and editing programs