Occupation: 831212 – Slaughterer
Stuns and kills livestock, and prepares carcasses for further processing by removing internal organs and hides.
The entry requirement for this occupation is the qualifications and experience (AQF Certificate II or III (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)). At least 1 year of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- operating switching controls to direct and drop carcasses and meat cuts from supply rails to boning tables
- cutting meat to seperate meat, fat and tissue from around bones
- washing, scraping and trimming foreign material and blood from meat
- cutting sides and quarters of meat into standard meat cuts, such as rumps, flanks and shoulders, and removing internal fat, blood clots, bruises and other matter to prepare them for packing and marketing
- operating restrainer and stunning equipment
- severing jugular veins of stunned animals to drain blood and facilitate dressing
- trimming and removing head meat and severing animal heads
- slitting open, eviscerating and trimming animal carcasses
- may slaughter livestock according to procedures required by religious customs
Stunner and Shackler (Abattoir)