Occupation: 393113 – Sail Maker
Fabricates and repairs sails and other articles from sailcloth.
The entry requirement for this occupation is the qualifications and experience (AQF Certificate III inclulding at least 2 years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)). At least 3 years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- cutting and preparing canvas, leather and sailcloth to design specifications, patterns and drawings
- sewing, gluing and riveting sections of canvas together to make articles such as awnings, tents, tarpaulins and horse rugs
- attaching grommets, fastenings and other fittings to canvas goods
- joining parts of leather articles using riverts, hand sewing, sewing machines, tools and adhesive
- restoring and repairing leather articles
- fabricating sails
- designing patterns and prototype of boots and shoes
- making and grading patterns using manual and computerised methods
- clicking synthetics, corrected grains, leather linings and leather outers by hand and machine
- altering and repairing footwear