Occupation: 252711 – Audiologist
Provides diagnostic assessment and rehabilitative services related to human hearing defects. Registration or licensing is required.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- administering and interpreting a wide range of audiometric tests to determine hearing efficiency and locate sites of detected hearing problems
- interpreting audiometric test results alongside other medical, social and behavioural diagnostic data
- evaluating total response pattern and acoustic tests to distinguish between organic and non-organic hearing loss
- planning, directing and participating in counselling, speech reading and other rehabilitation programs
- prescribing appropriate hearing aids and instructing patients in use
- administering tests and observing patients to determine nature and extent of disorders
- planning and conducting programs of remedial exercise to correct disorders such as stuttering and abnormal articulation
- administering industry and group therapy for rehabilitation of patients with communication problems caused by defective hearing, cerebral palsy, surgery and injury
- advising on treatment for children with difficulties in learning to speak
- counselling and guiding language-handicapped individuals, their families, teachers and employers