Occupation: 331112 – Stonemason
Cuts and shapes hard and soft stone blocks and masonry slabs to construct and renovate stone structures and monumental masonry. Registration or licensing may be required.
The entry requirement for this occupation is the qualifications and experience. AQF Certificate III including at least 2 years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3). At least 3 years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- studying plans and specifications to determine materials required, dimensions and installation procedures
- erecting and dismantling restricted height scaffolding
- sealing foundations with damp-resistant material and spreading layers of mortar to serve as base and binder for blocks using trowels
- laying bricks in rows, designs and shapes, and spreading mortar between joints
- embedding blocks in mortar and removing excess mortar
- checking vertical and horizontal alignment
- cutting, shaping and polishing stones and bricks using machines and hand tools, and shaping bricks to fit irregular spaces
- repairing and maintaining bricks, cement blocks and related structures
- designing and cutting monumental masonry and lettering
- constructing walls using stone slabs and large masonry slab blocks