Occupation: 311213 – Medical Laboratory Technician
(Medical Laboratory Technical Officer)
Performs routine medical laboratory tests and operates diagnostic laboratory equipment under the supervision of Medical Laboratory Scientists and Pathologists.
The entry requirement for this occupation is the qualifications and experience (AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)). At least 3 years of relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing may be required.
- operating equipment used in diagnosing and monitoring disorders of the heart, kidneys, nervous system and hearing, and in anaesthesia
- undertaking and assisting with medical analytical procedures and assisting Anaesthetists and surgical teams
- recording the electrical activity of the heart, from which the heart rate is measured and pattern and rhythm interpreted
- preparing and staining slides and tissue sections to study the cells of blood and for histological examination
- performing diagnostic tests on tissues and body fluids and analysing the chemical constituents of blood, urine, faces and tissues
- testing for diseases by looking for the presence of antibodies and the products of immune response in samples
- setting up, checking and maintaining operating theatres, anaesthetic workstations, life support machines and associated equipment
- referring prescriptions to Pharmacists and assisting in preparing medications