Occupation: 392111 – Binder & Finisher
Binds books and other publications, and finishes printed products by hand or machine.
The entry requirement for this occupation is the qualifications and experience (AQF Certificate III including at least 2 years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)). At least 3 years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- setting up and supervising the operation of automatic binding and finishing equipment
- binding full, half and limp-bound books, and repairing bindings
- folding, collating and sewing signatures by machine by hand
- operating paper guillotines for pre-press and post-press paper cutting and trimming, and programming electronically operated units
- operating systems to insert printed material into newspapers, magazines and envelopes
- embellishing printed products automatically and manually
- operating photographic and electronic reproduction devices
- preparing stencils using computer and hand-cut methods
- selecting, mixing and matching coloured inks and loading into screen printing presses
- loading printed items into drying racks, and unloading and stacking dry items
Paper Guillotine Operator (Bookbinding)