Australian Distinguished Talent Visa (Subclass 124 & 858)
The Distinguished Talent Visa (subclass 124 or 858) is a permanent visa for people with a history of excellence in an eligible field.
- To apply, you must have an internationally recognised record of exceptional and outstanding achievement (and still be prominent) in a profession, a sport, the arts or academia and research
- be nominated by an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, eligible New Zealand citizen, or Australian organisation with a national reputation in relation to your area of talent
This is a Permanent Residence visa and holders can:
- work and study
- stay in Australia permanently
- sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence in Australia
- if eligible, become an Australian citizen
- enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare
- sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
- travel to and from Australia for 5 years
Where can you apply ?
- SC 124 visa: You can be in or outside Australia when you apply for the visa, but you must be outside Australia when we decide on your application.
- SC 858 visa: If you will be inside Australia when we decide on your visa application, you could apply for the Distinguished Talent visa
Be internationally recognised with a record of achievement
You must be internationally recognised with a record of achievement in:
- a profession
- a sport
- the arts, or
- academia and research
Your achievements must be exceptional and outstanding. This means you:
- are currently prominent in your field
- have superior abilities to others in your field
- are acclaimed as exceptional in any country where your field is practised
- have a record of sustained achievement that is unlikely to diminish in the future
You must also participate in a field that:
- is recognised and accepted in Australia
- has international standing
- You must have been prominent in this field in the past 2 years.
You must be of benefit to the Australian Community:
- cultural, or
- to raise Australia’s academic, artistic or sports standing internationally
- You must contribute to the nation as a whole.
You must be nominated
- You must be nominated to apply for this visa. Your nominator must also meet our criteria.
- Your nominator must be an Australian citizen, Permanent resident, Eligible New Zealand citizen or an Australian organisation with a national reputation in the same field as you. Where appropriate, the nomination should come from the peak Australian body.
- If you are under 18 years old or you are aged 55 years or older when you apply, you must be of exceptional benefit to the Australian community.