Occupation: 241599 – Special Education Teachers (not elsewhere classified)
This occupation group covers Special Education Teachers not elsewhere classified. Registration or licensing is required.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- assessing students’ abilities and limitations with regard to intellectual, physical, social and emotional disabilities, exceptional intellectual gifts, or specific problems of language and culture
- planning, organising and implementing special programs to provide remedial or advanced tuition
- administering various forms of assessment and interpreting the results
- teaching basic academic subjects, and practical and self-help skills to hearing and sight impaired students
- devising instructional materials, methods and aids to assist in training and rehabilitation
- advising, instructing and counselling parents and teacher on the availability and use of special techniques
- stimulating and developing interest, abilities, manual skills and coordination
- conferring with other staff members to plan and schedule lessons for special needs students
- preparing and maintaining student data and other records and submitting reports
Occupations in this group include:
Aboriginal Education Teacher
Distance Education Teacher