Your visa is expiring or has expired
You must have a valid visa to stay in Australia. It is unlawful to stay in Australia without a valid visa.
- Check your visa expiry date and conditions
Before you decide what to do next, you need to know:
- when your visa expires
- whether your visa has a condition that prevents further stay
- your other visa conditions
What are your Options ?
- If you want to stay longer in Australia, you must apply for a new visa. You can’t apply for a new visa in Australia if your current visa has a no further stay condition (eg. a 8503).
- Leave Australia
- leave Australia any time before your visa expires
Take the right steps to leave Australia if your visa has already expired
- If you don’t have a valid visa
- You must take steps to become lawful as soon as you can or leave Australia.
- To leave Australia after your visa expires, apply for a Bridging visa E (BVE) as soon as you can. A BVE is a short-term visa that lets you remain lawful while you make arrangements to leave Australia.
As a permanent resident, you can leave Australia and return on your permanent visa as often as you wish for the first 5 years after the visa is granted. After this:
If you are outside Australia when the travel component of your permanent visa expires, do not return to Australia on any other kind of visa. If you do:
- you will lose your permanent resident status
- your eligibility for citizenship might be affected
Contact us if you need a RRV or have any problems with your visa expiring